Tuesday, July 25, 2006

impulsive purchase

Today I bought a gently used Yamaha FG-411 guitar for $75 from some random guy on craigslist. Quick internet check shows retail price closer to $250-300. I've hardly played since leaving for college and leaving the shared-custody guitar (brother, dad, and me) at home.

Thoughts:
1) My fingertips/callouses have definitely softened after my year-long hiatus from violin and other string instruments.
2) The guy's house was in a decrepit area of SE Dallas. The entire inside of the house smelled like stale cigarette smoke and wet dogs. I knew it was a somewhat risky/dangerous situation to drive out there in the first place, but he had said on the phone that he was retired due to "being electrocuted" and signed his email "God bless." Hey, a religious disabled guy couldn't really hurt me, right? In any case he turned out to be really nice, albeit the very stereotypical smoking, beer-drinking, teeth-missing Texas guitar player type guy. And my plan-of-action-in-case-of-emergency turned out to be unnecessary.
3) I have had a lot of harebrained impulsive ideas this summer. Redecorating my apartment was one... I started out manically, and the pace slowed after about a week. Redecoration is still underway. Now that I have decided to pick up the guitar again, I hope it sticks instead of falling by the wayside as I desperately try to be a good little med student when classes start in 2 wks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home