Thursday, July 20, 2006

smith and wollensky

Last night we went out to Smith and Wollensky for prix fixe, pay-your-age dinner after 9pm: appetizer, steak, and dessert.

I had fried calamari, filet au poivre, and a sampler of 3 diff creme brulees (classic, coconut, and chocolate). The calamari was a bit on the salty side, but pleasantly crispy and meaty in a huge portion. Lemon halves wrapped in cheesecloth were a nice touch. Peppercorn-crusted filet in a rich au jus was tender and buttery and perfectly medium rare inside. Creme brulee was ridiculously smooth and complex with copious black flecks of vanilla. I think at that point I reaffirmed my stance that the path to my heart is surely through my stomach. Feed me and I will fall in love with you.

Other people tried the crab and asparagus salad, Wollensky salad, crab cake w/ vegetable slaw, filet mignon, NY strip, chocolate cake, coconut cake, and carrot cake (the cake slices were 5 layers and literally the size of my head). The total bill came out close to $400. Mmmmm gluttony... easily my favorite of the seven deadly sins.

Today I discovered that my friendly neighborhood Kroger's sells Young's Double Chocolate Stout by the bottle. Score. AND I didn't even get carded while buying a case of Dos Equis. Small victories.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home