Sunday, June 25, 2006

OCD

I have officially diagnosed myself with a disorder classified in the Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum class of disorders. It is called Dermatillomania, otherwise known as Compulsive Skin Picking.

From http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/ocdaction/index.asp?id=214

>>The primary characteristic of Compulsive Skin Picking (CSP) is the repetitive picking at one's own skin to the extent of causing bleeding or damage to the skin to relieve anxiety or urges.

Yes, I do this. Mostly on callouses: formerly on fingers from excessive violin practice, now on heels for no good reason... maybe from wearing flipflops 24/7? Yes, I'm gross. I have done this for as long as I can remember, the first conscious memory of it being in first grade when I accidentally made my finger bleed and was sent to the nurse.

>>CSP symptoms include: recurrent skin picking (people pick different parts of the body, most commonly the face but other areas include feet, hands, arms, scalp, hands).

Thank goodness I don't do this on my face. Apparently it's quite socially debilitating.

>>Some people do most of their picking when they are bored, reading, or watching a movie, and little is going on. For others as the stress ratchets up, so does their picking.

Both of those situations apply to me.

>>CSP may well have an underlying genetic cause.

My mother does this on her face in a spot hidden by her hair.

>>CSP has many similarities with OCD - it is repetitive, ritualistic and temporarily relieves tension. The compulsive and self destructive quality of the behaviour also resembles nail biting and Trichotillomania. There are many that now believe that compulsive hair pulling, skin picking, and nail biting form a subgroup of what is becoming known as the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Spectrum.

There you have it. For those of you who already thought I was OCD, here's proof. For those of you who are grossed out, sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home