Sunday, September 10, 2006

craziest wkd ever

Wow. Craziest wkd of my life so far. Timewise and artistically. Never have I seen so many supertrendy tight designer jeans rocker tee snakeskin boot fashion and hair obsessed people in one place. Nor have I ever felt so rocker chic.

Fri night:
Attend model callbacks for hair show. Find out J, A, and I got selected(!!) Little did we know what we had gotten ourselves into.

Sat 8am:
Hair cut/color all day (literally all day... I did not think it was possible to do hair for an entire day but apparently it is) and runway show rehearsal. Finally finish by 8pm. I become mildly infatuated with the salon director who took 2 hrs to cut my hair. He's probably old enough to be my dad but is ridiculously in shape and way too effortlessly hot/cool for his own good. A couple of knowing winks and comments like "great bone structure" and "very pretty girl," and I was all giggly inside. Like a stupid schoolgirl. Apparently he is a god in the hair world as well (insert plug for Van Michael salons). Grab a quick bite, check out M's new apt for UT/OSU. Crash at midnight.

Sun 530am:
Hair styling/extensions. Makeup. Costumes. Runway show. The show was actually really cool - hot model types (guys and girls), really avant garde hair styles/colors/cuts. I felt very non-modelly and short... well, even shorter than usual. Finally finish by 3pm. Get paid (woohoo!) Also now have hair that looks like this and won't have time to get it evened out at least till after Friday's exam:




Sun 7pm:
Show at Pearl with new crazy hair. The photographers who did our shoot after the runway show actually came and loved the music. We had just been chatting during the photoshoot and I mentioned that the hair was perfect for my show tonight. They asked me for the time/place but I didn't think they'd actually come. One was this mid-20s, blond, all-American type of rugged cute and lives in Commerce, TX... hmm. Heh only kidding. No stupid ideas here. But I'm glad (and secretly flattered) that they had fun. After the show this one lawyer guy would not leave me alone. I'd guess around 30, Jewish or Mediterranean. Very Seinfeld-esque in personality/affect. Random conversation revealed that he was clearly very intelligent, hell even attractive, but just came on waaaay too strong. At first we were just talking (I'm friendly with all the bar patrons after our shows... hey we live on tips.) He asks me about the quartet, the music, our background, our stories etc. He finds out I'm in med school and says:

Lawyer guy
So how do you find the time to be a medical student AND do freelance music work at this level? Let me guess, you MUST be single.

Jo
Well... yes I suppose I am.

inside Jo's head
What does that have to do with anything?

Lawyer guy
Please let me buy you a drink.

Jo
Oh, um, thanks for the offer, but I have to drive home.

inside Jo's head
Bullshit, you drive after more than one drink all the time.

Lawyer guy
*makes wounded motion towards his heart* Wow well okay. Thanks for being polite, but basically you've just shot me down cold. Ouch that's embarrassing. Man you just got right to the point there. Wow heartbreak. *he is half-joking but serious enough to make me very uncomfortable*

Jo
Ha ha ha... heh. Well, great, hope you liked the show, I gotta pack up my instruments.

Lawyer guy
So how about sushi? Do you like sushi? I know a bunch of great sushi places around here [downtown]. Maybe you will let me take you out for sushi sometime. But seeing as how you wouldn't even accept a drink... well now you'll have to say yes out of pity. Do you guys play here every Sunday?

inside Jo's head
Oh God. This is awkward.

Jo
No, every other Sunday. *conveniently sidesteps other question*

Lawyer guy
Great. I'll definitely be back. Let me know about the sushi. Can I get your number?

Jo
Um actually you know what? I really have to go, but it will be great to see you back here in a couple wks. We'll talk then. Hope you enjoyed the show! *runs away*

Okay so besides effectively prolonging the situation and probably setting myself up for an identical one in 2 wks... here's my take on it. Our shows last for a few hours, and we're talking/joking/working the crowd the whole time. We introduce ourselves, our backgrounds, who we are, what we do in life between songs. Basically the audience knows a shitload about us, as well as watches our facial expressions during the music for a few hours. There is WAY too much informational asymmetry, and by the end of the show they think they know us whereas we know shit about them. This is my theory as to why guys stick around after our shows so much and try to buy me drinks.

This information-asymmetry personality-projection thing happened after the runway hair show today too. FINE so I winked when I looked back over my shoulder after turning at the end of the catwalk. FINE so I did a little playful booty shaking. (All mandated by the choreographer. Okay the wink was me.) About 5 of aforementioned supertrendy badass hairstylists came up afterwards saying stuff like "You're a little firecracker aren't you?" or "You're trouble, you know that?" with a dirty wink. Worse, I actually replied back instinctively with "Oh I know" and winked back. I really must be trouble. =(

Wow this post was guy-oriented. I'm allowed one every once in a while. Sleazy guys and stupid Jo reactions notwithstanding... doing both the hair show and a Pearl gig in the same wkd was much much fun!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha. hm. i look kind of out of it in that picture. but you look awesome!!! you little firecracker, you.... (wink) muahaha

20:59  
Blogger anonymous jones said...

Hi! Don't you wish poodle perms would make a comeback? Oh, and mullets. Classy.

22:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home