Wednesday, October 12, 2005

grocery store fun

A bit about the area of Dallas in which I live: It's a strange mix between homelessness, seedy bars, tattoo parlors, "tanning salons," and a somewhat prominent gay community. The combination added up to a strange experience last night...

On my way out last night, I make a very quick stop at the grocery store to pick up milk. I park my car, I know that I only need one item, so I sort of jog through the parking lot to the front door. Sitting outside the front door are a homeless-looking man and a very flamboyantly dressed man who I assumed to be gay. Anyway, they seem to be engaged in conversation until I jog by, and the homeless guy calls out "Wow, great hair!"

Jo's inner voice
"Did that homeless guy just say 'great hair'??? And why are they randomly hanging out outside a grocery store talking? I am so confused."
Jo
"Um, oh - thanks!" *begins running faster*
Flamboyant Man
"And so bouncy and full!! You go, girl!"

I would like to add that this story has not been exaggerated for comic effect. It was truly one of the top ten most bizarre experiences of my life. Well, I can't think of other specific experiences right now, but this is definitely up there.

In other news, I'm sucking at midterms studying, but I discovered a way to console myself. All of senior year, thesis was a huge black cloud hanging over all of our heads. I challenge any of you to remember the TITLE of your thesis. No easy task, is it? Okay granted, my title was probably more convoluted than most, but I digress. Anyway my excuse to myself is that in a couple of years (heh or even a couple of months) I won't care about these exams anymore, so why beat myself up over it now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home